Thursday, November 13, 2008

Today I am grateful!

Today my heart is heavy. Duane Summers lost his battle with cancer on Monday and this whole week has been so strange for me since that. Now I was never close to either Becky or Duane but until we moved to Tx 4 years ago I always admired their family. And it was neat to see their family grow. Becky always seemed like the most pleasant mommy and Duane seemed like a great daddy too. It was about a year ago when Jessie called me to tell me to kiss and hug my hubby and be grateful that he is healthy. I have always been really grateful to have such a great hubby and not really sure how I swung that one!

Becky and Duane's story has made me appreciate my family so much more. The one thing that I think of every time I used to see them was at one of Jessie's kiddo's bday. I had to work so Ed took Ethan over to play. I think they had 5 kiddos then but I'm not sure. Anyway, Ethan was about a year old. He has always loved to be around kids so it was a great place to be. Duane pulled Ethan around Jessie's living room in a box forever from what I heard. Duane loved kiddos and babies. Anyway, I guess I have said all this to say that I am grateful to have known Duane even the little bit that I did. I think he was a great man and I know that he will be missed and loved forever. Their journey has been a tough one but it has made me stronger and better. So today I am grateful to be me and to have and incredible family that loves me and that I love more than words can say.

3 comments:

FuquaFamily said...

I remember Becky as a young girl in BA 1st Ward and that's it. I haven't heard any news of her since. However, I too am most grateful for my husband and family this day because of her story which my Mom shared with me on Monday (she called to wish the twins Happy Bday). My heart aches for their family and although I don't know them I have been keeping them in my prayers. It's amazing and comforting to me that even when there is a tragedy at hand we try to (and do) find the good that may come from it. Thanks for your post today.
Love you guys.

Jules said...

I'm so sorry to hear that someone lost a loved one! I too savor the time with my family, and after losing a few loved ones am so grateful for the "hope" that the gospel gives us.

Terina Dee said...

I too am mourning with those that mourn and holding tight to what I have. You expressed my feelings of the week so well.

It's helping me figur out what it all means to me in order to write it.